What an inspiring morning! I had the privilege of attending the Passport to Manhood event presented by the Boys & Girls Club of Fort Wayne. Get to know this organization!
This organization influences hundreds of young people in our community. Below are some photo highlight from this morning:
Joe Jordan, CEO of the Club – what a great man!
Pat Hoffman of WANE TV did an excellent job in emceeing the event.
Larry Weigand shared from his heart. “You can’t buy sweat.” “The harder you work, the luckier you get.”
The new facility being built.
And the winner is…
Joe Jordan shared this quote.
Ray Abbott, a First Fridays regular, is conducting a workshop entitled “Leadership Gold” based upon the John Maxwell book with the same name.
Ray has a special code our First Fridays community can use to get a 50% discount! Here is the link to the workshop registration:
Leadership Gold Workshop Registration
Use the code FirstFridays to get 50% off! Thank you, Ray!
I’ve spoken with many people about their fear or concern over networking. I typically ask them a question my boss frequently asks: “What’s the worse that could happen?” Great question! But in this case, this is the wrong question to ask. How about this instead…
What’s the BEST that could happen when you network?
- You expand your relationship reach in your community.
- You start up new friendships.
- You learn something you didn’t know about your community.
- You meet influential leaders that will challenge you.
- You see what leadership looks like outside your company’s four walls.
- You appreciate your community more by understanding what makes your community work.
- You help connect others to others.
- You become a trusted resource.
- Your life becomes more enriched.
Get out and network! Great opportunities and experiences await you. If you don’t know where to start, attend an upcoming First Fridays forum. Our next one is on Friday the 13th (April 13) on the campus of Indiana Wesleyan University. We meet from 8-9 am. And it is free. We ask that participants register via Eventbrite.com to reserve their spot because seating is limited.
Curtis Smith, Director of Community Outreach, Parkview Health, was the final speaker at yesterday’s Catalyst Leadership Experience. Curtis presented a powerful message based upon his own experience in transitioning from a career as the most respected meteorologists in our area to his current role. He was vulnerable, honest, and candid.
Here are some excerpts from his presentation on Leadership: What Not to Do:
- Absent Leadership
- your team always desires some form of leadership
- be present – be there for them!
- nobody wants this!
- a great question to ask when a problem arises: “who should own the problem?”
- leaders – don’t do more than you should
- empower your team – don’t empower yourself
- Connect on a Human Level with your Team
- know things such as their birthdays, anniversaries, births, deaths, etc.
- invest in your team on a personal level
- Don’t be too Buddy-Buddy
- One Size Does Not Fit All
- each team member brings different talents to the team
- meet them where they are
- help your team members become the best version of themselves
- Engagement vs Satisfaction
- having a team member who is merely satisfied at work erodes trust and turns to discontent and unrest
- you need your team members to be engaged in their work
Here’s what’s in the oven for our next First Fridays event on February 2, 2018:
Register for this free event at: First Fridays February 2 Event RSVP
Inspiring. Motivating. Informing. Networking. Adding value.
This is First Fridays. RSVP to reserve your free spot here: January 5 RSVP
You won’t want to miss meeting and hearing Karl LaPan!