Since November, 2017, we have hosted the First Fridays Fort Wayne leadership development/networking forum almost every month (we take July/August off). At each of our events, we have brought in dynamic, local leaders from Fort Wayne and NE Indiana. Your feedback and support has been very positive to all of this. We’ve been exposed to great leaders, great organizations and great ideas:
- Entrepreneurship – Nate Reusser & Jeff Hoffman
- Innovation – Karl LaPan
- Coaching & our Leadership mindset – Jordan Langs & Dr. Matt Lucas
- Financial Wellness – Don Cates
- Thriving – Brenda Gerber Vicent
- Business Success – Wayne Robison
- Leadership Under Fire – Matt Konkler
- Leadership Legacies – Marlin Stutzman
- Finding Your Purpose – Barry Schrock
- Leadership Capacity – Donovan Coley
- Communicating Like a Pro – Heather Herron
There were more. And much more is coming! But is this all there is to it? We just attend a forum, listen, and then leave?
In my opinion, there IS more. Indulge me as we learn something from a Greek grammatical tense – present perfect.
What is that?! Present perfect simply means “an ongoing result of a completed action.” In other words, we hear one of the lessons above (the completed action) but then we realize the results of what we’ve heard by putting it into practice (our ongoing result).
Let me suggest some ideas that you can employ to make sure you are getting to most (the ongoing result) from your First Fridays Fort Wayne experience:
- Take notes. Write down something new you’ve just heard during a presentation.
- Re-read your notes. At some point after the forum, review your notes. Jot down other impressions or follow-ups that come to you.
- Share your thoughts. Share what you have learned with someone else. When you write something down, review it, and then verbally share it with someone else, you are embedding that information into your mind giving yourself a better chance at creating your “ongoing result.”
- Watch the YouTube presentation again. In Season 2, we have begun to provide the presentations on our YouTube channel (First Fridays Fort Wayne). Listening to a presentation again allows us to “catch” something we may have missed the first time.
- Do it. You’ll hear outstanding insights. Now put them into practice (ongoing results). Put your knowledge into action.
In the New Testament, the book of James says this about this ongoing results practice:
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only… James 1:22
Our desire at First Fridays Fort Wayne is to help leaders grow and network. Our goal in this post is to help provide some further insight in the growth arena.
Remember this: when leaders get better, their companies/organizations become better. When that ongoing result happens, our city, county, region, state, country, and world becomes better.
Thank you “doing” First Fridays Fort Wayne – and continually doing the work in your personal, leadership journey.
Jere writes: “First Friday’s Fort Wayne is live for April registration. Dr. Eddy Shigley will be our featured guest. I have personally known Eddy for over 30 years and served under his leadership in many ways. He is the definition of a servant leader.”
Follow the link below to register. Note the date for April only! We’re meeting on the 2nd Friday!
Are you looking for a new book to read in 2019? Are you seeking to build your business and need some solid advice and innovative thinking?
“Guard Rails are loosely defined as a “system designed to keep people (or vehicles) from straying into dangerous or off-limit areas.” This is the exact intent of this book. This books highlights practical advice to expand your thinking and provides guardrails to ensure context and structure for applying this book to your business and personal life.” (from the Foreword)
Where do you find your inspiration? If you are serious about building your business and/or start-up, read this book. If you are needing advice about some next “big steps,” read this book. If you are wanting to expose areas in your life and business that you may be blind to, read this book.
Karl and the NIIC are great local resources. Karl is also known around the world as a speaker, author, and coach. Take full advantage of his years of working with businesses and mentoring business owners and invest yourself in becoming better.
As Karl writes – Aspire Higher!
Note: “Proceeds from this book will benefit our Connected Communities Initiative which is focused on inclusive business builders – women, students, people of color, immigrants, and the hardest to employ…” (from the Foreword)
Due to Spring Break in our area, First Fridays Fort Wayne will be held on the 2nd Friday in April. Please mark your calendars. Be watching for registration to open. We will be back on the campus of Indiana Wesleyan University, Fort Wayne.
If you are from Fort Wayne, you know who Chuck Surack is. Watch this excellent interview of Chuck to learn even more about his story and the story of Sweetwater’s success:
See more interviews of Super Achievers at: http://genealogycenter.info/LifeStories/mylifeindiana/
Thank you, Bruce Buck, for giving us permission to share this with First Fridays Fort Wayne.
Follow this link to learn the great things that are going on in our community here in Fort Wayne, Indiana. And don’t be surprised if you find yourself saying, “I did not know that. ”
And then share this with a friend or coworker.